Sunday, April 02, 2006

sheridAn's cOffee |Ayered |iqueur


personally, i hvnt tried it before.... so, i will let the experts do the talking... ahahha

~~~~~~PRODUCT PACKAGING~~~~~~

Hmm? Odd one this, Sheridan’s comes in a double barrelled 500ml glass bottle, what I mean by double barrelled is that the bottle is really two bottles glued side by side next to each other. On the left hand side is a slim half bottle and on the right hand side is a rather plump half that sort of resembles somebody’s fat arse. In the slim half is some white milky liquid and on the right side is some deep brown (Tar looking) liquid.

These two bottles are then supported by a band style black and white label with Sheridan’s original written across it. The same label but this time oval shaped is stuck on the front of the fused bottles.
The cap is a large black plastic umbrella shape with a round twist off lid on the front of it.
Once you remove this you are greeted by two large holes that look like some kind of cannon staring you right in the mush just waiting to blast your nostrils off. Oh, it does tell you on the bottle that this is a coffee layered liqueur and it is a whopping 18.5% in the alcohol content.

~~~~~~WHAT DO YOU DO WITH THIS WEIRD BOTTLE?~~~~~~

Well, you are supposed to tilt your glass when you pour the drink and from one side of the now pouring bottle, you have some brown stuff oozing out and right next to it there is some weird milky looking stuff hitting your glass as well. Once your glass is full, you are then supposed to leave your drink to settle and you are left with something that resembles a well poured measure of Guinness, dark brown at the bottom of your glass with a creamy white head. And seeing as this is an Irish drink, it kind of figures that it would resemble Guinness, you tell me an Irishman who doesn’t like Guinness?

~~~~~~WHAT DOES IT TASTE AND SMELL LIKE?~~~~~~

<>

Ahhh! Try to imagine if you will, the deepest smell of rich coffee that you can, add to that a sweet creamy smell arising from the white head at the top of the glass and your eyes are left rolling with delight.
Right I am now convinced that this stuff is safe to drink, so down the hatch goes half of the glass and

<>

Jesus bloody Christ! Next time I sample an alcoholic drink I have never tried before, I think I’ll drink it a tad more sparingly.
Ahem! Okay, it does taste like coffee, very, very, strong coffee at that, imagine your morning cup of Nescafe with the kick of ten cans of Red Bull. Yes it really does make your eyes water but in a pleasant kind of way. The cream on the top as far as I could tell was exactly that, cream, there doesn’t seem to be any alcohol in it whatsoever.
As you get further down the glass though you do start to realise that the dark brown coffee liquid is heavily laced with plenty of alcohol. This is why my eyes bulged and by lungs nearly fell out when I gazumped a gob full of the stuff George Best would have been proud of.

After scouring the back of the label though, I was shocked to find the ‘described’ vanilla cream liqueur contains 17% alcohol and the brown stuff is actually described as coffee chocolate liqueur and is 19.4% alcohol 18.5% overall. I had no idea there was anything to do with chocolate in the drink whatsoever, any flavour is simply drowned out by the strong coffee taste.

Anyway, the whole taste experience resembles a cold cup of expensive sweet cream coffee mixed with a drab of best whiskey. If you are into that sort of thing (and I am) then it is absolutely lovely stuff, but if you simply don’t like coffee in general then you definitely won’t like it.

~~~~~~MY FINAL THOUGHTS~~~~~~

Overall I was quite pleased with my Sheridan’s experience, my other half didn’t like it much but I thought it was lovely jubbly. It is definitely a strong alcoholic drink and weighing in at 18.5% who could argue?
I do have to say though that I prefer Tia Lusso anyday, as Sherridan’s does tend to leave behind a pretty bitter aftertaste, which is really the drinks only downfall. It does go quite nicely with a meat packed meal as well, drool!

Whoever dreamed up this dodgy bottle design though needs some psychiatric help, it is definitely the most surreal looking thing I have seen in quite a while. Maybe the designer is related to Piccaso, an interesting thought I suppose.
I’d have to recommend this stuff to all coffee lovers out there but if you do prefer something similar but a little on the milder side, then Tia Lusso is a better option.

Thanks for the read.

DEANO!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home